Tuesday, May 31, 2016

No Signs of Weakness

As a parent and teacher, I find discipline to be one of the most difficult things I have to do.  It is not just that I have to be the "bad guy".  I can (mostly) handle that without becoming emotional.  For me, it is the struggle with a chronic pain condition.
My kids seem to zone right in on the fact that I am not up to the rigors of discipline when I am having a bad day.  They become more difficult to find and lose their sense of hearing suddenly. 
In order to cut down on this craziness, I have learned that it is necessary to show no signs of weakness. Those days when I am in pain and would rather not get out of bed are the days I must get up early. I need the extra time to prepare myself for the day.  I pray a little extra, I stretch and walk to work the aches out, and I create a game plan while I drink that first cup of coffee. If I am up before the kids and wake them in a sickeningly chipper way, they think I am having a good day. Chalk one up to mom.
If I can keep the limp to a minimum and keep focused when I want to cry out in pain, we just might make it through the day with no one, including myself, being grounded!

No comments:

Post a Comment